Monday, August 26, 2013

Was it Algonquin or Algonqin?

 After completing the hike to the first summit we descended quickly down the rocks. Once we hit the tree-line I felt instantly better- the wind blowing over the giant rock slab that is the top of Wright's peak was chilling me to the bone. We followed the trickle of water down towards the trail crossing- stopping momentarily when I had my first big slip and jammed my toe/knee into the side of a boulder. It honestly felt like I lost my nail it hurt so badly- but... it was either give up or keep going (and we had just started). I came to grips with the fact that I'd have a very bloody sock to deal with later and we got moving. The distance between the two summits was not great, the tree-line eventually broke again and we were guided by the cairns to the top. We paused just below the summit to take a few pictures- there was a sign that said “drop your rocks here”. Unfortunately, we missed the sign at the bottom about bringing the rocks up- but it was great to see the effort all the same.

Top of Wright seen from Algonquin

There were also signs saying “please stay on the rocks, protect the local arctic vegetation”. I soon learned why exactly those signs were there as the absolute klutz in me accidentally slipped off a rock and put my foot straight into the moss-looking plant. It was the softest thing I've ever stepped on as it gently caught my foot and I steadied my balance. At that moment I felt absolutely awful for what I had done and actually sprinted away from the spot. I don't think my one footprint did too much damage- but the thought of hundreds of other people doing what I just did made me really cautious from there-out.

Not falling on the vegetation!

At the summit we met the “Summit Steward” (a person whose lone purpose was to chat with the people at the top of the mountain). He told us about the efforts to preserve the arctic vegetation and helped us take some pictures at the top where the plaque was planted. One of the more interesting facts I learned was that the name was actually spelled incorrectly on the plaque!
If you look closely you will see it's spelled “Algonqin”.


We stopped here for lunch (aka peanut butter on a bagel and a power bar) and took a LOT of pictures. The view was clear, and then all of a sudden a cloud passed over us and everything around us was gone. I actually watched one cloud as it crept up the mountain and that was hands-down one of the coolest things ever. It appeared to pass around us more than over us- as I could always see everyone at the top of the mountain but nothing beyond that- AJ frowned slightly and asked me if he was pathetic for actually understanding the science behind the movement.


I love my fiance. Mostly for taking me on this hike... but you can't deny the level of adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment