Sunday, March 16, 2014

In the meantime...

So we're at the point where we're beginning to plan our next adventure- and I'm so excited that I've tried to figure out ways to get involved.  With those random warm-ish days that have come and gone as quickly as you take a moment to appreciate them, I'm itching to get outside again.  Unfortunately, as much as I think I understand things- I really have no clue what I'm doing.  As I mentioned in my very first blog post, AJ and Jared pretty much took the responsibility of planning the hike.  AJ even packed everything for me.  I just showed up- which was really great for what it was... but there were some uncomfortable moments that I know I could fix with the right equipment and preparation.  Plus, if we ever decide to do a true backpacking trip (where you can only take what you can carry for shelter, food, equipment, etc), I will definitely need to start researching and saving some money for that.

Through my internet browsing, I came across an amazing website called Hiking Lady:
Hiking Lady

The website is maintained by a woman named Carol Roberts, who hopes to educate and inspire anyone and everyone about the great outdoors, with a particular focus on women.  The site is clean and user-friendly, and it offers topics on all kinds of things for beginner hikers that I've found extremely helpful.  When you head to the main page, it's suggested that you start with "Hiking 101" where she lists pieces of equipment that she believes to be necessary: boots (with the correct lacing technique), socks, a proper-fitting backpack and trekking poles.  I was happy to dig further into her suggested foot gear and discovered that I selected a brand and style that she recommended for day-hiking.  However, if I want to get into overnight backpacking I'll need to select a different style.  I bought new socks for the trip, but was using a borrowed backpack, and had no trekking poles.  My biggest complaint at the end of the day was the fact that my knees were killing me.  Carol suggests that to save your knees in the long run, a good pair of trekking poles is essential.  I'm going to need to look more into that...

I'm also hoping to purchase my own jacket- the one I borrowed belonged to AJ's dad- and although I was extremely thankful, it was just a LITTLE bit big.
And perhaps a better set of hiking pants... the shorts were great when I was hot, but that was only for the first hour or so.  Then I contended with a lot of mud and pine trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment